Thursday, October 30

Yummy Cookies --- No Butter Required...

I needed to make cookies for some families that my husband will be visiting and I forgot to buy Butter!!! My friend Jen and I were brainstorming (she's so sweet---she offered to pick up butter for me :) but I decided to make Crinkle Cookies. Mmmmm. You only need 4 ingredients and NO butter! (I uploaded my picture to recipezaar.com and its awaiting approval - how exciting :D)

The author of the recipe wrote:

(A Great 4 Ingredient Cake Mix Cookie)
Recipe #32614 15 min 5 min prep

These are chewy, fudgy, SUPER EASY cookies that you can probably make right now! I have watched these disappear time and again and everyone is always asking for the recipe. It is almost embarrassing to give it out, it is that easy Enjoy! (12/14/06: I wanted to add that Betty Crocker has updated this recipe by adding 1 tsp. vanilla extract, but I don't want to change the original recipe.) *12/22/07: Please see my tips at the end of the recipe!
30 -48 cookies

Ingredients
1 (18 1/4 ounce) box devil's food cake mix (Betty Crocker Super Moist suggested)
1/2 cup vegetable oil
2 large eggs
confectioners' sugar

Directions
1 Preheat oven to 350°.
2 Stir (by hand) dry cake mix, oil and eggs in a large bowl until dough forms.
3 Dust hands with confectioners' sugar and shape dough into 1" balls.
4 Roll balls in confectioners' sugar and place 2 inches apart on ungreased cookie sheets.
5 Bake for 8-10 minutes or until center is JUST SET.
6 Remove from pans after a minute or so and cool on wire racks.

To keep them nice and thick and to get the most "crinkled" or "crackled" look is to make them bigger. When I roll them at about 1.5 inches they look prettier.
Note from the writer of the recipe: The confectioners' sugar was consistently being absorbed by the dough. The last time I baked them, I rolled them into balls without rolling in the sugar and let them "dry" for a few minutes. Then I rolled them in sugar and baked. These came out with a nice coating of sugar that didn't disappear.

***
To make mine a little more festive I'll probably put them in a Halloween sac and add Halloween M&M's to the bag. (M&M's & sac free from Walgreens, cake mix .50 from Staters, oil & egg?---cheap but thoughtful gift right?)

2 comments:

Jennifer said...

Your cookies looked "spook"tacular!
You would never know you got such a good deal on everything! You deserve some extra help around the house! ;)

Julie the Wiser said...

You are so creative! I wish I lived closer so you could drop a bag off at my house!! Love and miss you.