Sunday, August 14

Reading

I have a sweet friend in Colorado that one time casually spoke about how she loves reading Chapter Books each night to her kiddos. The book she was reading at that time was The Tale of Despereaux. I remember thinking she was amazing and inspirational for soooo many reasons, but this one quickly topped the list. She helped me to have to courage to attempt reading chapter books with my kiddos.

We just started reading The Boxcar Children. Its a cute little chapter book by Gertrude Chandler Warner that was first published in 1942. One of my favorite Grade School Teachers Mrs. Brinks used to read this book aloud to us each day at school. She had cute little voices for each of the characters in the book. This book was magical to me because of the magic that Mrs. Brinks created when she read to our class. I won't be doing voices while reading...but I am having a blast! This is waaaaay better than Dr. Seuss but I still have Fancy Nancy on the top of the list :) We read 50 pages the first day! Lexi ducked out around page 30 but Jacob was fascinated with story and loved the adventures!

Happy Sunday :)

j

2 comments:

melissa gargalis said...

I was just thinking the other day about what books I had loved reading, The Box Car children books! And all the American Girls-which there have way more these days. And I laughed that you had Mrs. Brinks too! Does Jacob like the Box Car Children books? Are those boyish? I can't remember.

Julie Avery said...

Yes! Jacob loved the first Boxcar Children Book! The first book was way boyish! There's a little boy Benny and a big brother Henry. Jacob loved that. The writer does an excellent job with detailing little tasks and Jacob loved to imagine himself doing stuff just like Benny. It was really fun to hear him laughing about the fun events in the book and guessing what Benny will do next. It was really a great read.