Monday, November 8

Everydayfoodstorage.net


Everyday Food Storage



I love love love http://www.everydayfoodstorage.net/ Crystal, the blog author is so cute and practical about her cooking! Her philosophy is to use your food storage in your every day cooking to help you rotate and learn to cook from the basics!

I'm moving in a little over 3 months (ack!) so my new found love for food storage is getting put on hold as far as the BUYING and STORING is concerned. Boo!:(

BUT I've found other ways to work on my food storage.

1- Making a plan.

Find out how much of each item my family would need on the recommended 1-year supply list and estimate costs.
Make a list of 50 recipes that I want for my 3-month supply.

Make lists of other household items that I would like to stock up on...like TP, toothpaste, and Diet Coke of course. lol.

2- Practice cooking with "food storage" items.

This part is my favorite...practicing cooking!!!

So far I've learned to...

Bake bread, rolls, french bread , french rolls - the french breads are giving me some trouble. little buggars.

Creamed soups (u know, cream of mushroom, cream of chicken, cream of celery...) I didn't realize how many of those stinkin things we use until I started working on my 3 month supply list. Gees.

Instant Oatmeal Packets. One of my favorites! I'll post that recipe this week.

Cook with powdered milk.

I have sooo much more to learn.
Up next: Dry Beans

I totally recommend checking out http://www.everydayfoodstorage.net/ and getting some tips or maybe just some motivation!! She's DIE HARD and I'm not looking to be DIE HARD...just a little more self sufficient. I have to say...Its been really nice not running to the store for bread to make PB&J every week...or needing a can of Cream of Celery on a Sunday. Done with my speech. Hope you get a change to check out the website...it motivated me! :D

No comments: