Monday, April 19

Pantry Dilemma...solved!




I have a pantry dilemma...my last pantry was HUGE and this one is...well...a closet. And that closet is right up next to the double doors to the laundry room and the double doors to the fridge....they literally share the same 3 feet of space in an effort to make my life miserable. Yes, m.i.s.e.r.a.b.l.e.


So here was my solution. Baskets! I have a ton of wasted space above my cabinets in the kitchen...so I added baskets! Not really for decoration....tho they do look kinda cute I think...but for food! Is it totally practical...well...I guess a bigger kitchen and pantry would be more practical but ya work with what ya got right?! We're living in a temporary place...so I'm off to a new pantry every year or so...so I make do with what I have!

I do wish I could come up with some way to make them look more cute. I thought about greenery...buy green just isn't my color...I think I've looked all over the freakin blog world and have just settled on a plant shelf with just baskets. PLUS decor would just get in the way of functionality...right?! Simple. Works for me.

I purchased the baskets from Target when they were on sale. I had to run to 3 different super targets in my area...(kill me) but I love them! I wanted the fabric liner so I could wash it if needed and cause I wanted something to help break up all the BROWN ... I love the linen looking liners and they totally match my chairs in the dining room. Why didn't I just buy them with a coupon at Michaels, Joann's, HobLob? Cause I wanted to spend a fortune at Target. No really...Cause that would have been like 100 transactions, they don't have very many "sets" of baskets that all match, and I just loooved the ones I spotted at target...blah blah. Just cause ok?!! ;)

I labeled some of the baskets just for fun. Not really for any function. I'm sure my sweet husband would appreciate it it I actually labeled them correctly....like 'tomatoes' 'soups' 'pasta' ... but that would just not be cute! ;D So my labels currently say "1" "2" ... 'Faith' 'Hope' 'Love' 'Charity'..... and will probably change again and again.

I also purchased a step ladder on clearance at target to help me actually reach the baskets. Also...for the not so heavy baskets I just use my rolling pin and stick it through the hole of the basket to help lower it down...rocket science. My 4 year old loooves when I let him climb on the counter to grab the mac&cheese from the basket. Fun stuff.

So...what if my next home (March 2011) doesn't have a large plant shelf? I'll die. Just kidding...I have a few ideas. If I have an available wall near the kitchen either in the eat in dining area (not the formal dining area for sure!) then I'll buy 2 cute bookshelves and just fill them with baskets. OR I could just use them in a closet I guess. I dunno.

No comments: