Thursday, September 11

Story Time at the Library - for 7 minutes...

I decided to make a list of free & cheap activities to do with my kids in my home town and surrounding cities. One of the activities on my list was the Corona Library for Story and Singing Time. We arrived at story time today about 5 minutes late because we had to park across the street and walk. Jacob pushed Lexi in her stroller and I played traffic police helping Jacob avoid hitting the parked cars. Once inside we took our place on a little blanket we brought and I started to hum along with the song. I felt dumb for not singing but I know better then to sing in front of my son.

~For those who don't know...you definitely don't want to be the mom that is too cool to sing along~ SO - I decided to try it anyways. "Itsy Bitsy Spider Ran up the Water Spout..." To my embarrassment my boy started yelling, "MOM! MOM! MOM! Stop singing!" He hates it when I sing at home and always yells my name until I stop. Ugh. I don't know why I thought that this time it would be different. So I just changed to humming again. Then even more embarrassing... After every song Jacob would say, "Yea, we're all done! Prayer Time! Let's go home!" (he does the same thing at church every Sunday...needless to say we sit in the 2nd overflow EVERY Sunday) We lasted 7 minutes - then I decided to leave when Jacob literally walked out the back door shouting, "Time for the Fish Mom!"
I told Jacob that if he was a good boy then we would look at the fish in the entrance of the library.
Deeeeep sigh. I wasn't actually embarrassed of Jacob - he's only 2 - and I'm a firm believer of this concept: As a mom, if you keep your cool when your having trouble with your kids in public then there's no reason to be embarrassed. Let people think what they want to think. What are you supposed to do - stay home? No way! That doesn't mean that its OK to be disruptive...calmly remove yourself (like we had to do) and move on to the next activity. :) So my Boy is Active... (and its killing me) Active is a Good Quality, Right?

No comments: