

I love love love Corn Chowder and I usually use a recipe from my childhood. But I just went to Mimi's the other day for date night and I ordered yummy Corn Chowder and loved it!! They totally have the recipe online!!! Click here to go to their website and view this recipe and others including the French Market Onion Soup -yum! Or view below:
Mimi's Corn Chowder
(Yields 2 1/2 quarts)
4 tablespoons butter or margarine
3 cups frozen corn, thawed
6 tablespoons onion, chopped
2 tablespoons sugar
3/4 cup celery, large dice
2 teaspoons salt
2 1/2 cups hot water
1 pinch white pepper
2 cups raw potato, peeled and cut in 1/2" cubes
3 tablespoons flour
1 quart Half & Half
Method
On medium heat, melt butter, then simmer onion and celery for 5 minutes until soft, but not brown.Add water, potatoes, corn and seasonings. Cover and simmer for 30 minutes or until potatoes are barely tender.Whisk the flour into 1 cup of the Half & Half, and stir into the soup. Add the remaining 3 cups of Half & Half. Simmer for about 15 minutes until the soup has thickened to a creamy consistency.Correct the seasoning with additional salt and pepper if needed. In order to correct the consistency or the soup you may add a little milk to make it thinner. To make the soup thicker, simmer another 5-10 minutes.
(Yields 2 1/2 quarts)
4 tablespoons butter or margarine
3 cups frozen corn, thawed
6 tablespoons onion, chopped
2 tablespoons sugar
3/4 cup celery, large dice
2 teaspoons salt
2 1/2 cups hot water
1 pinch white pepper
2 cups raw potato, peeled and cut in 1/2" cubes
3 tablespoons flour
1 quart Half & Half
Method
On medium heat, melt butter, then simmer onion and celery for 5 minutes until soft, but not brown.Add water, potatoes, corn and seasonings. Cover and simmer for 30 minutes or until potatoes are barely tender.Whisk the flour into 1 cup of the Half & Half, and stir into the soup. Add the remaining 3 cups of Half & Half. Simmer for about 15 minutes until the soup has thickened to a creamy consistency.Correct the seasoning with additional salt and pepper if needed. In order to correct the consistency or the soup you may add a little milk to make it thinner. To make the soup thicker, simmer another 5-10 minutes.
Bon Appetite!
- - - - - Julie's Cafe - - - - -
Here's My (other) Favorite Corn Chowder
*I don't know where my mom got the recipe....mom?*
1/4 c. water
1/4 c. finely chopped onion (no onion for Heath)
1/2 c. finely chopped broccoli
1 c. finely chopped cauliflower
1 c. finely chopped (or shredded) carrots
2 chopped large potatoes (optional)
Simmer the above ingredients together in salted water. Add:
1 17 oz. can corn, drained
1 17 oz. can creamed corn
1 can cream of corn soup (if you can't find this, just add another can of creamed corn)
Stir all ingredients together. Then, make cheese sauce as follows:
1/4 c. butter
1/4 c. flour
3 c. milk
4 oz. sharp cheddar cheese
Melt the butter; add flour to make a roux. Slowly add milk so that mixture stays thickened as it cooks. Add 4 oz. shredded sharp cheese and stir until smooth. Add cheese sauce to soup mixture and heat through. If you like thicker soup, double the butter and flour (but NOT the milk) for the cheese sauce and it will make a thicker soup. Soup thickens as it cools.
Mmmm. Yummy recipe's for the cold months.
2 comments:
I am so gonna make this. I LLLLOOOVVVEEE it too. thanks for the recipe. How did your primary program go? Are you glad it's over? Hey is it Moxie where you and Heath work? there is a guy in our complex that drives a truck with Moxie pest control on it. You might know him. I don't know him though. Sorry.
I don't know where the recipe came from, but I know Shauna and I tweaked it about a zillion times to make it like we want it. You are so creative! I love your blog and I love that you're my daughter. You are an amazing person.
Post a Comment